z

Young Writers Society



Autumnal Night

by S.S. Rose


Cloudy veil recoils the night
The fiery stars with gold alight
A moon antiquity could not tarnish
Bold and lustrous orange above
Lisping, aging, mourning leaves
Congregate ‘round our patient feet,
Rashly bared as the palest cosmos –
Specters amid the river’s reckless passage


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
297 Reviews


Points: 2218
Reviews: 297

Donate
Sun May 29, 2011 5:08 pm
Justagirl wrote a review...



Interesting poem,

Throughout the whole thing I saw only 1 comma. Only 1!?! You need a lot more punctuation in it, but luckily your flow is ok. Also, you don't seem to have any emotion in it. It seems like you're dancing around a pot of emotion but never dipping in and putting some into this poem. Try adding some feeling to this!
Other than all that ^ you're fine :)

Keep writing,
Alzora




User avatar
14 Reviews


Points: 979
Reviews: 14

Donate
Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:50 am
greg925 says...



I really like the imagery in this one. You paint a very vivid picture here.




User avatar
57 Reviews


Points: 1682
Reviews: 57

Donate
Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:51 pm
Lunasol21 wrote a review...



Something about this poem is very hypnotizing... I can't quite figure out what, and that's what I love about it. You really have to dig in deep to find a meaning. Autumn is my favorite season, and I could hear the leaves crunching and see them falling beneath the moonlight. Great job, keep writing!

S.S. Rose wrote:Lisping, aging, mourning leaves
Congregate ‘round our patient feet,




Random avatar

Points: 790
Reviews: 7

Donate
Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:47 pm
EmmaGrayce wrote a review...



Hey this was a really good piece, i liked the flow of it and the vocabulary you used!
The only part that I didn't like was "Specters amid the river’s reckless passage" and i say this only because it stopped the flow of the poem because of its length. The line by itself is well written but I think using it in this poem would make it seem somewhat misplaced.
"A moon antiquity could not tarnish
Bold and lustrous orange above
Lisping, aging, mourning leaves
Congregate ‘round our patient feet," AMAZING. I really really loved this bit, nice imagery.
Good work!
Em




User avatar
180 Reviews


Points: 8691
Reviews: 180

Donate
Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:42 am
Warrior Princess wrote a review...



I love this poem, particularly the style in which it was written. Your words are also quite beautiful. It's very short, perhaps a little more so than I'd prefer, but in that small space you have crammed in a good deal of meaning. Keep up the good work! :)




User avatar
263 Reviews


Points: 9616
Reviews: 263

Donate
Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:30 am
Caerulean wrote a review...



o.o The first time I read this, I was like 'Whoah.' You've got a lot of vocabulary in you. I didn't understand the poem xD. But then, when I read it again, I saw how great the poem is and how epic you are as a poet. :D Like what they said, you put great imagery in this poem. I could never be as poetic as you are, haha.




User avatar
52 Reviews


Points: 1789
Reviews: 52

Donate
Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:40 am
Kiicoh wrote a review...



I really enjoyed reading this piece! For the most part, it flows very nicely.

S.S. Rose wrote:Cloudy veil recoils the night
The fiery stars with gold alight


I don't like how your first two lines rhyme, but the rest of the poem doen't have rhyming sections. It makes it seem as though you attempted rhyming, then gave up. Maybe change the word "Night" to "Evening"?

S.S. Rose wrote:Lisping, aging, mourning leaves
Congregate ‘round our patient feet,


That's my favorite part. It created nice imagery in my head. I love the word choice, and the fluency. I find it to be very beautiful.
Great job! :)




User avatar
168 Reviews


Points: 13952
Reviews: 168

Donate
Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:47 pm
View Likes
LastPaladin wrote a review...



Wow, just wow, I'm LastPaladin and I shall be your reviewer and just wow! It's not often I'm so impressed with pieces on here, most of the time I enjoy them, but this, this sounds like one of the greats, if I wasn't much mistaken, I'd think it was one of those classic poets. The diction, the wording, the beauty conveyed. I credit myself as a harsh reviewer, so it's a shock, when I find a piece I feel without any flaws. Because of that, I think shall reread.

Okay, now shock over, one error I felt very mild:

Specters amid the river’s reckless passage


Reckless here seems to detract from flow and seems like it's just trying to be smart with alliteration, other than that small nit pick this earns a like. I'm very impressed by this piece and because of it I shall keep an eye out for more of your poetry.

Congrats.

P.S: I agree with the short review above, try get this published :).




User avatar
9 Reviews


Points: 1048
Reviews: 9

Donate
Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:01 pm
Angelheart says...



this is very good i think u should publish this piece




User avatar
135 Reviews


Points: 6280
Reviews: 135

Donate
Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:50 pm
ballerina13 says...



Wonderful piece. It had great imagry and depth. There were not many errors and it flowed pretty well. Again, it had great imagry. I could see it all happening.




User avatar
21 Reviews


Points: 1551
Reviews: 21

Donate
Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:57 pm
View Likes
desmerize1819 says...



I also enjoyed this. It was short and sweet. I liked the slow pace which gave the readers time to absorb it.And the imagery and symbolism were used well. Loved the personification too!

Keep writing-as I know you would do.




User avatar
86 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 86

Donate
Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:01 pm
View Likes
AlyssaKyle wrote a review...



Hey there! Welcome to YWS!
This was jam packed with strong imagery for such a short poem. I especially like these lines:

"Bold and lustrous orange above

Lisping, aging, mourning leaves"

It sidetracked me for a minute on the cycke leaves undego and how that relates to us. The other reviews already mentioned my nit picks, so I won't bother repeating them. Sorry I don't have anything more constructive to offer. This was really nice.




User avatar
42 Reviews


Points: 1179
Reviews: 42

Donate
Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:38 am
carolinewashere wrote a review...



I really enjoyed the poem.
Your use of vocabulary is quite amazing.

I agree with Anna. I did not think that the word Tarnish flowed well. When I was reading the poem that word seemed to jump out at me, I had to read the line again so it would process fully.

But I really enjoyed this line Congregate ‘round our patient feet,
I could imagine it. Thought it was excellent.

very well written.

keep writing!!




User avatar
69 Reviews


Points: 1390
Reviews: 69

Donate
Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:21 pm
Anna Graham wrote a review...



Hey there!
I really liked this! You have some great diction, and the imagery works well. The only problem i have is the flow, really. The word "tarnish" and the last line just don't seem to blend together.

Cloudy veil recoils the night

The fiery stars with gold alight


I really like these lines. They flow really well together, and the rhyming sounds good too.


Specters amid the river’s reckless passage
Like I said, great diction, but you'll notice this line has many more syllables than the rest. If that's what you're going for, then that's just fine. But i think it would flow better with fewer syallables.

All in all, a great poem! Thanks for the great read!

--Anna





I’ll marry the finest banana in the galaxy for you.
— Tuckster